Howell County Communities (2009)
Brandsville is a city located in eastern Howell County where it meets Oregon County. The population was 174 persons living in 65 households at the 2000 census. At the turn of the century, faced with expensive technological changes taking place in the brewing industry, many American brewers sold out to foreign investors, pocketing hugh profits. Michael Brand chose a humanitarian undertaking after selling his brewery to the United States Brewing Company. He used the profit from this sale to establish the German settlement, Brandsville, in Howell County, Missouri, in 1895, a source of refuge to immigrant Germans who were still flooding the shores of the United Stares. Today there are several businesses located in Brandsville including Garnett Wood Products Co., Inc. and KCMH Christian Radio.
Caulfield is an unincorporated community in western Howell County, located on U.S. Highway 160 about fifteen miles west of West Plains. The community was founded in 1930 and is named after Missouri governor Henry Stewart Caulfield, who took office in 1929.
Hocomo is a small unincorporated community in Howell County located about thirteen miles southwest of West Plains. The community was founded in 1931 and its name comes from "HOwell COunty, MO". It once had a post office, but its mail now comes from Caulfield.
Lanton is an unincorporated community. It is located on Route 17 between Route 142 and the Arkansas line. It formerly had a post office, but mail is now served from West Plains. The community was founded before 160, and is named for its founders, Lancaster and Sutton. The former Lanton school is located next to the Fire Station, and is in extreme disrepair. The Lanton Fire Department boasts the lowest ISO rating in the region of any rural fire department, and operates out of two stations, one in Lanton proper, the other halfway to West Plains. Lanton presently has a church, three convenience/package stores, and not much more.
Moody is an unincorporated community in southern Howell County. It is sixteen miles south of West Plains just north of Route 142 on Route E. Several homes and a post office are located there.
Peace Valley is a small unincorporated community in eastern Howell County. It is about five miles east of Route 17 on Route W. It was named for an early settler nicknamed "Grandaddy Peace".
Pomona is an unincorporated community, midway between Willow Springs and West Plains. The community was founded in 1895 and it was named for Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit trees; this area was a major producer of apples (fr.: pomme). Several homes, businesses and a post office are located there. The West Plains Municipal Airport is actually located in Pomona.
Pottersville is an unincorporated community located about ten miles west of West Plains.
Siloam Springs is an unincorporated community in western Howell County, about two miles south of Route 14 and fifteen miles northwest of West Plains. Its post office is closed and mail now comes from West Plains. The community was founded before 1880 and is named after a pool of healing in the Bible; see John 9. The springs in the community were believed to have medicinal qualities.
South Fork is a small unincorporated community in Howell County located ten miles west of West Plains on U.S. Route 160. It was named for the South Fork of the Spring River, the location of the town. Previously, it had been named "Cross Roads".