Site Search

  Birth records, Land grants, Homesteads
  Obituaries, Cemetery Records, SS Death Records
Times In between
  Newspaper articles, first person recounts, family histories, Census, Schools, Churches, etc.
  Things that don't fit in the categories above

This site contains links to documents stored both onsite and offsite.

We have the ability to alter or change information contained in the on-site material but are not responsible for information, errors or inconsistencies in the off-site information. If you find a problem, please contact the coordinator for that site.

HoCo GenWeb Coordinator
Connie Schachel

Death Notices & Obituaries

As reported in the Mountain View Standard, Mountain View, MO. 1909-1920. Read carefully. These are in date order, not alphabetical.

Contributed by Linda Henry

June 11, 1909

WILLIAM C. RUFF - Dead In The Field - Friday of last week Wm. C. Ruff, residing about three miles northwest of the city, went out into the field with a team to plow potatoes, and when found at 5 o’clock by two young sons of J.B. Thompson was dead. He had plowed all his potatoes but one row and had evidently been stricken with apoplexy, probably from the exertion. One horse hitched to the plow, and was standing near him when found. Deceased was 76 years of age, and is survived by his wife. He was born in Butler, Ohio, and for twenty-six years was a resident of Crawford county, Kansas. He moved to Howell county about four years ago.

March 25, 1910

John Moore - Dead - Sheriff Cantrell lodged James Mitchell in jail Tuesday night, the Grand Jury having indicted him on a charge of murder in the second degree for the murder of John Moore, and his bond fixed at $3000 which he has not yet filled.

August 5, 1910

Bennett Beck - Drowned - Little Bennett, the 13 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Beck of north of town, was drowned at the Radliff Ford on Jack’s Fork Wednesday noon. It seems that Mr. and Mrs. Beck and Bennett were spending the day on the creek, and while his parents were eating dinner Bennet went wading. His father and mother both saw the bubbles arising out in the water, but supposed Bennett was playing, until he failed to come up. This scared Mr. Beck, who could not swim, but he waded out and brought the boy to bank, where all means of resuscitation failed. The remains were interred Thursday in the Mountain View cemetery, and the sorrowing parents and relatives have the sympathy of the entire community.

April 4, 1913

(Taken from the accident and search report, which was very lengthy) - 

Burton Hoover - Ivan Moore - A Double Tragedy – Burton Hoover and Ivan Moore Drown in Jack’s Fork, Near Blue Springs, Sunday Afternoon. Bodies Not Found Till Wednesday – Searching Parties Line the Creek for Three Days, Using Rakes, Gigs, Grappling Hooks and Dynamite. The Third Day Bodies Found One Hundred Feet Apart. Burton was the youngest son of Squire and Mrs. A.E. Hoover of this city, who lost another son, Arthur, about two years ago. He was a railroad brakeman and in coupling two cars was knocked off his feet, the train passing over his body and severing the head from the trunk. This second accident coming, as it has so close upon the other, has almost prostrated Mrs. Hoover. Miss Edna, her daughter, was called from West Plains Tuesday morning, where she had been visiting her sister, to be at the bedside of her mother. Ivan Moore was the only son of Mrs. C.R. Henry of southeast of this city, and was just arriving at an age where he was a joy and comfort to her. He has been attending the high school at Mountain View this term, and Monday that room turned out and went to the creek to help in the search.

5 Jun 1914

Robert Light, who has been a sufferer for over a year from rheumatism, died at his home at Monteer Sunday and was buried at that place Monday by the Odd Fellows, of which he was a member.

19 January 1917

Joe Hawkins - Killed In A Fight At Dunn - A fight at Dunn, on the Frisco, some eight miles southeast of Cabool, on Wednesday of last week resulted in the death of one man and the serious injury of another. The trouble is said to date back to a pie supper several months ago, and a conflict had been expected between the two men for some time. It seems that the men met at a sale at Dunn and went over to an old shop, south of the railroad, to settle their differences, and in the fight that followed Joe Hawkins was struck in the head with a rock, fracturing his skull, the injury causing his death the following day. Jim Hartley received a knife wound four inches long in his right side that may cause his death. Only two or three people witnessed the tragedy. Mr. Hawkins, the dead man, leaves a wife and several children. Jim Hartley also is married. Both men are well known around Dunn.

Dollie Basket - Dead - Nothing that has occurred in recent years has cast such a gloom over the entire town as the report which came over the wires Saturday afternoon, that Mrs. C. E. Baskett was so ill that the doctors held out no hope for life. Her brother Dr. R. W. Day and Professor Baskett’s mother, Mrs. Z. R. Baskett, started Sunday morning for Kremling, Colo., but at Mountain View they received another message conveying the sad news that Dollie was dead. Mrs. Baskett returned, but Dr. Ralph went on to Denver to meet Clyde with the body.The remains reached here Friday of last week, and was taken to Summersville in the T.E. Padgett Ford truck, Lee Flood driving same for Mr. Padgett, and the trip was made in one-third the time possible with a team and wagon.

May 29, 1918

Louisa Bainter - Dead - Louisa J. Bainter was born in Guernsy county, Ohio, September 26, 1839, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. G. Foster of near Mountain View, Mo., Sunday, March 24, 1918. She was married to James W. Law in Guernsy county, Ohio, July 25, 1865. About the year of 1871 they removed to Clyde, Kansas, where she resided until 4 years ago, when she came to live with her daughter, Myrtle near Mountain View. To this union were born seven children, three having died in infancy. Those left to mourn the loss of a good and faithful mother are Frank M. Law, of Cude, Kansas; Myrtle M. Foster of near Mountain View; Lewis W. Law of St. Joe, Mo.; Elmer E. Law of Miami, Florida. There are fifteen grandchildren and one great grandchild, besides the many friends she made while with us. She was a member of the Methodist church, having joined while quite young. The remains were taken to her home at Clyde, Kan., Tuesday afternoon, for interment, accompanied by Mrs. Foster.

May 17, 1918

MRS. WILLIAM L. PENNINGER - Mrs. Penninger Dead - Mrs. Wm. L. Penninger, who has been very low since being thrown from their buggy at the railroad crossing several months ago, died at her home in this city Friday morning of last week, at 4 o’clock. Deceased was one of our oldest and most highly respected citizens, and her worth in our community was attested by the large crowd which attended her funeral Sunday afternoon and followed the remains to the city cemetery. She leaves an aged husband, two daughters – Mrs. C.C. Padgett and Mrs. O.L. Taylor – and three sons, Jessie, Harry and Ralph, and several grand children, besides a host of other relatives and friends, to mourn her departure. The casket was placed on the front porch of the residence and the funeral services conducted by Rev. Gulley, after which the remains were interred in the city cemetery.  All of the children were present except Ralph, who is in the army and could not get here. The sympathy of the commun8ty goes out to the bereaved in their hour of sorrow.

November 18, 1918

FRED P. HAMILTON - Lost in Action - Robert Hamilton, a prominent farmer of Hutton Valley, received an official telegram yesterday from the War Department telling of the death of his son, Fred P. Hamilton, a member of Capt. Mark Springer’s command in Company D. 130th Machine Gun company, who was killed in battle September 29. Young Hamilton, who was 23 years old, enlisted in West Plains on a few weeks before Company D left West Plains for the training camp at Ft. Sill in the summer of 1917. He was working in the west at the time the United States declared was on Germany, and returned to Howell county to enlist in order that he might go to war under Capt. Springer and with friends from his home county. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Maud Rockey of Kingville, Mo., and Mrs. Robert Boss of White Church, and two young brothers, Claude and Arthur Hamilton of Hutton Valley. His mother died only a few months ago. Mr. Hamilton, father of the young man, is the Republican candidate for northern district judge of the Howell county court. He was in West Plains today and stated that the message telling that his son had been killed gave no particulars.

Thomas Adolphus Wiggs - Born at Ewing, Franklin county, Illinois, December 28, 1878. He came to Mountain View in 1890, where he resided until August, 1915. He then went to South Missouri and remained there until his death, which occurred October 31, 1918. His death resulted from influenza. During his sickness he embraced Christ as his Savior and died in that faith. N This is a consoling thought to his relatives and friends. The funeral was conducted at the home of his sister, Mrs. J.B. Hannah, north of Mountain View, by Rev. Hunnicutt, Sunday afternoon, November 3. A large number of friends of the deceased attended the funeral. Interment was made in the Mountain View cemetery.

January 31, 1919

Sarah Ellen Cobb Christian - Born in Marion county, Missouri, September 30, 1848. She was married to Thomas M. Christian December 4, 1817, to this union seven children were born, four of which survive her, two sons and two daughters. She was converted very early in life and united with the Missionary Baptist church at Warren, Marion county, Missouri. She afterwards came to Howell county, Missouri and united with the Baptist church at Chapel Hill. She was a devoted, companion a kind and loving mother. She was loved and admired by all who knew her; and as a neighbor none ever appealed to her in vain. She departed this life January 9, 1919, at the age of 70 years, 3 months and 9 days, after an illness of only about 3 hours. She leaves two sons, two daughters, nine grand children and a host of relatives and friends to mourn her loss. She has gone to her reward in Heaven above, to be forever with friends who have gone before. May God bless and comfort the sorrowing loved ones in their hour of grief. The funeral was conducted by Rev. M.P. Smotherman at Chapel Hill on the day following her death, after which she was laid by the side of her husband, who preceded her several years ago.

April 11, 1919

MOLLIE HARTMAN WILLBANKS MURRRELL - Died April 3, 1919, at 3 o’clock a.m., at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Leola Deboard of Ottawa, Kas. She had been ill seven months and died of the cancer of the stomach. Mrs. Murrell was past 48 years of age. She was born in Texas county, Missouri, September 28, 1870. Mollie Hartman was married November 25, 1888 to W. R. Willbanks. He died June 18, 1907. To this union seven children were born, four of which have gone on before. On February 18, 1917, Mrs. Willbanks and G.P. Murrell were married at Trask. The husband is still living. About three months ago Mrs. Murrell went to her daughter’s home. The body was brought to Mountain View Saturday, April 5, 1919, and interred in the Willbanks cemetery. The funeral was conducted by Rev. Henderson.

16 May 1919

Calista Swarts Jarrett - Born near Lexington, Michigan, July 28, 1860, and died at Mountain View, Mo., May 7, 1919. She was married at Corning, Mo., to J.M. Jarrett January 29, 1896. Mr. and Mrs. Jarret came to Mountain View in March, 1918. They transferred their membership to the M.E. church a short time after they came here. Sister Jarrett became a Christian early in life and was a faithful church worker and lived a devoted Christian life. The funeral service was held at the home of the deceased, May 7, by her pastor, Rev. R.L. Hunnicutt. The body was taken to Nebraska City, Nebraska, for interment. She was ill for a long time and suffered much, but bore it all with patience and Christian fortitude. At first she hoped to recover, but later knew she could not. But she did not fear death. She was ready to go. Death came not as a tragedy, but as a deliverer from pain and suffering into a climate where she will be no longer subject to illness to dwell in that house not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens.

July 4, 1919

Wilson L. Webster - Born February 3, 1850. Died June 26, 1919, in Shannon County, Missouri. He was married to Mrs. Rebecca Shannon January 3, 1919. He was converted many years ago.

August 15, 1919

REV. J. FRANKLIN DEBOARD - Uncle J. Franklin Deboard was born in White county, Illinois, July 13, 1836, and died June 15, 1919. He toiled along in this old troublesome world for 83 years, 11 months, and 2 days. He was wonderfully saved at the age of 16, and united with the M.E. church. He united in marriage August 26, 1858, to Margaret A. McKinsey, who was a faithful wife and helpmate, being converted to Jesus Christ in her 15th year. She still waits and mourns his departure. To this union were born thirteen children, seven girls and six boys. Five boys and two girls still are waiting their departure when they shall join their father and loved ones who have crossed on over the tide. Two girls, Mrs. J.H. Goodman and Mrs. W.L. Beard, and S.S. Deboard, live north of Chandler, Okla., and two boys, A.L. and R.H. Deboard, and two other sons, A.E. and L.L. Deboard, still live near Mountain View. Rev. Deboard was licensed to preach in the M.E. Church in 1860. He volunteered in the union army in August, 1861, and made a good soldier for three years, being honorably discharged in August, 1864. He left Illinois and came to Howell county in 1876, where he lived until his death. Shortly after arriving in Missouri he united with the Congregational church and was ordained to preach. 'Uncle Franklin' as he was called, was not a great preacher as some call great, but was one in whom everyone had confidence. He was always on hand at preaching services, prayer meetings, and Sunday school to do what he could for the Lord and the church. He was not only a preacher, but was one of the best Sunday school class leaders in the church. He was present to marry young people and also to bury the dead. 'Uncle Franklin' was well known and loved by both young and old. Especially was he loved by the host of grand-children, there being thirty-seven grandchildren and twenty-three great-grandchildren. Truly it was a shock, and we are grieved to lose him as husband, father, grandfather, neighbor and church worker. But our loss is his gain, so we say 'Amen' to the Father of Lights who doeth all things well. His grandson, Rev. Franklin N. Deboard.

26 September 1919

GUY CROUCH - Kicked By Mule - Monday evening of this week, little Guy, 2 ½ year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Crouch, who live on the R.S. Penninger farm just across Elevenpoints, was kicked by a mule, from which his death resulted 24 hours later. The mules were in a pasture adjoining the yard, and were eating some fodder which had been thrown out for them. Several of the family were in the yard and Mr. Crouch was working in the garden nearby. The child got through the fence and walked up behind the mule, which kicked, striking the child on the forehead and breaking a hole in his skull and pressing quite a portion of the skull in, some of the grains coming out where the skull was broken. Drs. Shuttee of West Plains and Hendricks of White church were hurriedly summoned and operated on the little fellow, who lived nearly 24 hours after the accident. Some four or five years ago another son of Mr. and Mrs. Crouch was kicked in the head by a large mare. He was operated upon, considerable of his skull and a few of the brains were removed, and for some time his life was despaired of. However, he finally recovered and is alive and well today. Mr. and Mrs. Crouch and family have the sympathy of the entire community in their hour of deep sorrow. The remains were brought to this city Wednesday afternoon and interred in the city cemetery, after appropriate services at the grave.

Go back